Spread across an area of 443 acres, Sanjay Van is a forest area near Mehrauli and Vasant Kunj, Delhi. It is diverse in different flora and fauna. I was able to spot a couple of jackals, and immensely beautiful, unseen birds. If you are lucky, you may even get to watch the peacocks dancing (it is the perfect season for this 😛 )
I visited with my friends in the beginning of this month.
Thanks to the early rainy season, we experienced the most perfect, breezy, cloudy and tranquil morning; an ideal weather to visit such a place.
GETTING TO SANJAY VAN
- If you are travelling by your private vehicle, you can park them at Gate number 3 (near Rockland Hospital). The location for Sanjay Van on Google Maps will help you reach this gate.
- If you want to travel by the metro you can get down at either;
*IIT Delhi Metro Station
*Qutub Minar Metro Station
*R.K. Puram Metro Station
These metro stations are all under 2 kilometres to the destination.
- You can get your cycles too (except for the fact that you will have to carry them up the rocky terrains)
- Wear a cap. (will help you on a sunny day)
- You may carry a few crackers/ biscuits if you want. (you wouldn’t want to get hungry at such a beautiful place 😛 )
- Water bottle is a must. (otherwise you might end up needing “Glucon-D waala paani” to save yourself from the summer heat😂)
WHAT TO EXPECT? (ATTRACTIONS)
1.Head to Sanjay Van for a short hike that promises incredible views.
A 15-20 minute partially rocky terrain will take you to points from where you can adore the green cover and also spot the Qutub Minar in all its glory.
I know clicking pictures is a must, but do not forget to capture the beauty in your brain too. 🙂
2. Sanjay Van Lake
Walking ahead, you can spot the Sanjay Van Lake, created just a few years back. The white swans add to its beauty, along with the boats and plants.
3. Little Waterfalls
As you walk through the forest, you can hear the steady burble of water at a lot of places. Stop on your way to experience the freshness, the cooling and calming effect.
A 10-12 minute walk from the lake will take you to the L.G. Tower (looks almost like a Machan); primarily for bird watching. It is an attraction among people, so you may always find it crowded. It is best to reach the place early to save yourself from the heat and the crowd. Again you spot the Qutub Minar from here.
This is the perfect place for a little jamming session with your buddies (admiring the view and the weather). We did it too and the people around us enjoyed as much as we did. ;P
5. Mayur Pahadi
If a little Rock Climbing fascinates you, visit the Mayur Pahadi or the Peacock Hill. It can also be a cute picnic spot.
6. You can find nurseries of various medicinal plants in there too.
TIP: THE GUARDS ARE VERY FRIENDLY AND WILL HELP YOU FIND YOUR WAY OR MAY EVEN ACCOMPANY YOU TO THE LOCATION.
- Washrooms are easily accessible; you can find them at short distances.
- Drinking Water is available too but I would suggest you to carry your own water bottles.
- Various route maps may help you find your way.
- Other than this, there are a few food stalls selling Maggi, Tea and other snacks right outside Gate Number 3.
I WAS ABLE TO COVER ALL OF THE ABOVE SPOTS, IN PEACE, IN 4.5 HOURS. YOU MAY TRAVEL AT YOUR OWN PACE, AND EVEN TAKE MORE THAN A VISIT TO COVER IT ALL.